Lawn care services with Landworks landscaping company include fall cleanup. While the leaves are changing colors, they are also dropping onto your turf. If not raked up, your turf will be missing out on water, oxygen, and sunlight. Also, after it rains, wet leaves are an invitation for bugs, mosquitoes, and critters to take up residence in the leaves. Lawn care services and fall cleanup go hand in hand.
There is a sound reason behind raking leaves that has to do with lawn health; it is not simply about giving your grass a tidy look.
You have probably heard reasons why you shouldn’t allow leaves to stay on top of your grass:
1. Lawns, too, have to “breathe.”
2. Unraked lawns will be smothered in a thick layer of unshredded leaves if left on top of them over the winter.
3. Such a layer can invite pests and diseases and can cause serious problems like snow mold and brown patch.
4. This layer can also form a barrier that blocks water, nutrients, and a healthy air flow from getting down to the root system of your grass.
5. If the leaves are matted down, they can even keep new grass blades from emerging next spring.
The most important point with fall cleanup is that the tree leaves are not covering a significant portion of the turfgrass canopy. Ten to twenty percent coverage of your lawn might be okay, but make sure the leaves aren’t covering any more than that.
Excessive leaf matter on your lawn going into winter is bad for several reasons. First, it will smother the grass and if not removed very soon in the spring it will inhibit growth. Second, it can promote the snow mold diseases. And finally, turf damage from critters (voles, mice) can be more extensive in the spring.
Landworks specializes in all aspects of lawn care services for commercial and residential properties. Our customized lawn maintenance programs are designed to meet your needs, including mowing, mulching, shrub/tree trimming, and lawn fertilization programs. Landworks offers a free consultation for all our landscaping, irrigation and lawn care services in Kansas City metro area including cities such as Shawnee, Overland Park, Lenexa, Olathe, Leawood and beyond.